Along the Silk Road - The Casual Warrior's Kimono blog! — When to wear kimono
Top Ten Places to Wear Kimono! 0
One of the most frequent questions I always get from shop visitors is - "When/Where will I ever wear this?"
My standard response is always, "When/Where would you NOT wear this?"
But, for those of you out there looking for a more solid answer as to where you can wear your favorite kimono ensemble and all of the glorious accessories that go along with it, here are my top ten suggestions.
1. Sushi Restaurants. (Especially if they have a special room with traditional tatami flooring!)
2. Formal Events. If you're looking for something special to wear, kimono - especially the more formal and semi-formal types such as houmongi, tsukesage and kurotomesode) are always perfect attire. For an extra special ensemble, play with different obi and attempt to match the motif with the event!
3. Japanese Festivals. Here is an article listing Japanese festivals around the country. Why not travel to one and show off your awesome ensemble?
4. Anime Conventions. They're a celebration of all things geeky and nerdy! Lovers of gaming, cosplay, manga and anime, and various other fandoms unite for a weekend of parties, costumes, parades, contests and more. Share the love of Japanese culture by going traditional! A popular place for many to dress up in formal kimono or go casual in yukata!
5. Gallery Exhibitions. Kimono are often considered wearable pieces of art; so why not WEAR art while looking at art? (Look around and see if any local galleries near you are hosting any Japanese-themed exhibitions for extra style points!)
6. For Your Birthday. Because it's your day! Why not dress in your favorite to feel extra special?
7. Get-togethers/parties. Hopefully your friends know about your love of kimono and won't be surprised when you show up in one! Even if they don't they're bound to be impressed and fascinated by your style.
8. Kimono de Jack Events. Weird name; fun events! What is Kimono de Jack?
Kimono de Jack is an international kimono lovers group. It was founded in 2011 in Kyoto, and has since grown to include many countries across the world!
9. Outdoor picnics. - When dining outdoors and enjoying the scenery! The Japanese have always derived great pleasure from the changing seasons. Why not enjoy some time outdoors in your yukata?
*Bonus points: Grab your obento wrapped in your furoshiki and use it as your picnic basket!
10. Photos: Show off your style and elegance to the world by taking some photos in your kimono! Post to Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook and amaze all of your friends and family!